Introduction to Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines is one of the largest low-cost carriers, with headquarters in Dallas, Texas. It connects about 42 states, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, and flies over 100 destinations. Southwest Airlines offers only economy classes, and there are no business or first class. More passengers are willing to travel through Southwest Airlines through their flexible services.
Mentioned below are the detailed steps to follow for upgradation, cancellation and refund policy, check-in flight status, and baggage policies at Southwest Airlines.
Thus, let's look at all the procedures and policies.
How can you book a ticket online at Southwest Airlines?
There are simple steps to be followed by the passengers if they want to book their flight reservations with Southwest airlines online. The steps are as follows:
- Firstly, the passengers need to visit the flight booking website of Southwest https://www.southwest.com/ and then login into their respective accounts.
- If the passenger doesn't have an account, they must create one before opting for flight bookings.
- After they have successfully logged in, the option of "Booking" will automatically pop up.
- The passengers just need to hit the "Book" option.
- After that, they will be automatically directed to the page where the passengers need to enter their details.
- The personal details comprise their names, city of departure and arrival, one-way or round trip, and the number of passengers.
- Moreover, the passengers also need to mention if the traveler is an adult or a child.
- Lastly, they need to select if they need a "one-way" or "round trip" or "Multi-City" flight.
- Then, they need to hit the "Search Flights" option and choose the flight according to their convenience.
- Now, they will automatically be direct to the payment option, and after payment completion, the passengers will receive their e-tickets in their respective email ids from Southwest.
upgrade my flight ticket in business class at southwest airlines
Following are the steps to upgrade your tickets at the southwest airline:
- you have to visit the official website of southwest airlines with the help of the URL https://www.southwest.com/
- There you will be asked for your booking ID and your last name. Enter these details carefully and press the 'continue" tab.
- After clicking on the continue tab, you will see a web page with your booked flight information.
- Select the flight you want to upgrade from the list of the flights present
- Check the availability of the class whether you have upgraded to premium or business.
- Press enter. A payment page with new fare details will pop up, depicting the difference between the fare of the new flight and the previous one.
- Proceed with payment.
- You will receive a confirmation mail when you are done with the payment.
How to cancel your flight and check if you're eligible for a refund (steps)
These are the simple steps to cancel your flight at southwest airlines.
Follow them at your ease:
- For flight cancellation, you have to visit the official website of southwest airlines with the help of the URL https://www.southwest.com/.
- On reaching that page, you must click on the 'my trips' tab, which you will find on the top left corner of the home page of Southwest airlines.
- There, you will be asked for your booking ID and last name. Enter these details carefully and press the 'continue" tab.
- After clicking on the continue tab, you will see a web page with your booked flight information.
- It would be best if you chose the change/cancel flight option in the top right corner.
- Keep on following the instructions which are popping on the screen.
- After that, you will receive a confirmation on your contact number or your email id.
- If your ticket is eligible for a refund, you will see an option to apply for a refund.
- Even for non-refundable reservations, if you cancel within 24 hours of booking, you can receive your refund in the same mode as the original form of payment or convert the airfare into travel funds.
- So, if you want to cancel the ticket, these are some steps that you need to follow in chronological order. Then, it will just take you a few minutes to complete the process.
Can I get a refund if I cancel my flight ticket?
To apply for the refund, you need to be clear with the steps of cancellation mentioned above;
- While canceling a ticket, you can apply for a refund, but Southwest issues a refund which can be only used for future trips at Southwest.
- Like coupons for tourism or optional extras
How can I change my flight ticket date at Southwest?
You are set to go and chill on a family trip. But what if your kid's school schedules an exam on that date? Well then, you should look at other options as well. After reading these steps, you will have a clear idea about the process and policy you must follow if you change your flight ticket date at Southwest.
These are the simple steps to follow to change flight ticket date at Southwest airlines:
- First, you have to visit the official website of Southwest airlines with the help of the URL https://www.southwest.com/.
- On the home page, you will see a tab called my trip.' Click on it.
- Enter your booking confirmation code and the person's last name for booking the tickets.
- The confirmation code and booking name should be correct and should be kept handy.
- It will redirect to a new page consisting of all your booking information about your flight.
- Select the flight you want to change the date for.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and edit the date of the desired flight.
- The fare of the new flight will be displayed on the screen. You must pay the charges if it is more than the previous one.
- Once the payment is made, you will receive a confirmation mail for the ticket change.
What are the baggage allowance criteria at Southwest?
The passenger's first two checked bags fly free at Southwest. After that, every additional bag and any oversized bag (more than 50 pounds or larger than 62 inches) is $75 per item, one-way.
Each bag can weigh 50 pounds or less and be 62 inches in size.
Bags that are checked less than 45 minutes before scheduled departure may or may not be on your flight. In the case the baggage does not arrive with you at your destination, Southwest doesn't pay for delivery charges to get it to you.
The liability of Southwest Airlines for the loss, or damage, is limited to the proven amount of damage or loss, which cannot be more than $3,800.00 per fare-paying Customer, including Customers traveling on Southwest points tickets.
What are policies that are outlined by Southwest airlines in different scenarios?
The policies that Southwest outlines in different scenarios are discussed below.
Make sure you read this before going to follow the steps:
Southwest Airlines cancellation policy
Due to some unwanted events, we have to cancel our travel plans. And we are stuck in a situation and worried about your refund. But Southwest airlines give you the cancellation policy in hand. · For flight cancellation, you have to visit the official website of southwest airlines with the help of the URL https://www.southwest.com/. On reaching that page, you must click on the 'my trips' tab, which you will find on the top left corner of the home page of Southwest Airlines. There, you will be asked for your booking ID and last name. Enter these details carefully and press the 'continue" tab. After clicking on the continue tab, you will see a web page with your booked flight information.
Southwest Airlines refund
If your ticket is eligible for a refund, you will see an option to apply for a refund. Even for non-refundable reservations, if you cancel within 24 hours of booking, you can receive your refund in the same mode as the original form of payment or convert the airfare into travel funds. So, if you want to get a refund for your ticket, these steps on the official website must be followed in chronological order. Then, it will just take you a few minutes to complete the process.
Southwest Airlines upgrade
Select the flight you want to upgrade from the list of the flights present. Check the availability of the class whether you have upgraded to premium or business. Press enter. A payment page with new fare details will pop up, depicting the difference between the fare of the new flight and the previous one. Proceed with payment. You will receive a confirmation mail when you are done with the payment.
Everyone is excited before booking the tickets, but everything seems confusing if the plans change somehow. But with Southwest Airlines, you can come prepared.
You are allowed to change your reservation without any Southwest Airlines change booking fee, provided that you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of the date of purchase and the reservation was made one week or more before the scheduled departure.
This will help you in saving money by avoiding cancellation fees.
All Southwest Airlines change flight requests must be completed at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure.
How can I contact Southwest Airlines Customer service number?
They are just a call away from you to get in contact with them:
- You have to visit the official website of southwest airlines with the help of the URL https://www.southwest.com/
- You will see a search icon at the top right corner of the website.
- Type 'contact' in it, and you will be redirected to a new web page.
- Where you will see many FAQs and policies regarding contact systems.
- Scroll that page to the end, and you will find a tab called 'CONTACT US.' Click on that.
- You will get all the email, contact numbers, and social account information.
Following are the Southwest Airlines customer service numbers:
Calling from the United States: 1 800 435 9792
Calling from Aruba: 588 2900
Calling from Bahamas: 1 855 202 3403 and 1 855 202 3402
Calling from Belize: 0 800 0078684 and 0 800 247 5463
Calling from Costa Rica: 0 800 012 1916 and 0 800 012 1917
Calling from Dominican Republic: 1 800751 9039 and 1 800 751 9038
Calling from Grand Cayman: 1 844 670 7914 and 1 844 670 7990
Calling from Jamaica: 1 800 425 8130 and1 800 425 8089
Calling from Mexico: 800 083 1179 and 800 083 1178
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1 800 533 1305
Automated Flight Information: 1 888 792 8747
Rapid Rewards Customer Service: 1 800 445-5764
Q1. How late can you cancel a Southwest Airlines flight?
You can cancel your ticket at Southwest airlines 10 minutes before your scheduled departure. Like if, if your flight leaves at 8:00 am, you can cancel your flight till 07:50 am.
Q2. Will you get your money back if you cancel your flight at Southwest airlines?
Yes, you can get your full money back if you cancel your flight before departure. In addition, if you have a non-refundable flight, you can get your money as travel credit to use in your future travel plans at Southwest airlines.
Q3. Can I transfer my travel credit from Southwest airlines to someone else?
You cannot transfer your travel credit from Southwest airlines to someone else. You can only use it for your travel plans at southwest airlines.
Q4. How will I get to know if my flight is canceled?
After following the cancellation procedure, you will receive a confirmation for the same on your email ID registered while booking your flight.
Q5. Is there any cancellation fee at southwest airlines?
There is no cancellation or service charge to be paid at the time of canceling your ticket at southwest airlines.
Q6. How can I contact a person at southwest airlines?
You can contact Southwest airlines customer service at 1 888 792 8747.
Q Can I upgrade my flight ticket to business class at southwest airlines?
Yes, you can upgrade your ticket at southwest airlines by following the steps mentioned earlier.
After giving this blog a thorough read, you will have a clear idea about the process, policy, and steps you must follow if you cancel your ticket.
You also know where to refer to for the process and what is the exact customer service number that will provide you with the correct information and will initiate the steps for the ticket cancellation.
The customer service of Southwest airlines is just a call away, and they are ready in your service 24/7. You can visit them for any query such as changing your flight, cancellation charges, baggage, booking ID, etc.